Thursday, February 12, 2015

Two Friday the 13ths - an omen ignored?

Not only that but I am leaving on February 13th for the solo journey back to the land of lights and dishes. I'll just ignore the 13th part. The reason for the solo journey is Linda, who I count on to keep me warm at night on the train ride and in Churchill, will be staying in Fiskdale for awhile helping Melanie and Andrew with our new and first grandchild, Charlotte. But she will be coming up to join me March 10.

So I expect to be in Winnipeg on February 13th weather permitting which is asking a lot given what New England and the midwest have gone through of late. Looking forward to Thidbeau's Thai restaurant and it's ginger stir fry, a drink at the Fort Garry although I am staying somewhere else, seeing what is going on down at The Forks (similar to Boston's Nathaniel Hall marketplace) and outside on the Red and Assiniboine rivers, and a visit to Chinatown which would not be high on Linda's list. I'll save the Humanitarian Museum for our trip back together in March - it should be open by now, we've only been waiting 3 years!

This trip will be a reunion for us as we will be joined by our dishwashers in arms from our 2013 trip, Lesya and Andrew. Looking forward to FINALLY hearing about their adventures in New Zealand, Ontario, Alberta, Prince Edwards Island, and all stops in between. And we will be once again reunited with Laura the Cook so expect to see a few more pounds on me when I get back. She's already planned the Chinese New Year's dinner which happens a couple of days after I arrive! And I know Heidi, the volunteer coordinator, will the thrilled to see me:

Earthwatch 1 will be almost over when I get there but hope they'll forgive me when I bust out a bottle of PermaFrost. It was a big hit last year. And will finally find out who the mystery woman is who is in all those pictures with Steve - or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I've been brushing up on my Australian so I can converse with Sarah although maybe now that she's been away from the bush for so long maybe she's talking more like a Canadian!

Will definitely enjoy having coffee with Sharon and Patsy again after following their adventures on Facebook.

Kim, Philip, and LeeAnn have been mostly silent over the last year but I'm sure we'll have some catching up to do. And maybe Jackie will be back???

And then the polar bear crew will be back in March which is always interesting and fun even though we know we'll never get a helicopter ride to help them with their research....sniffle, sniffle.

Also in March will be the very intense aurora photography week which I had hoped Linda would do this year but too many complications. Maybe next year? But David Marx and Jim Halfpenney are always very gracious in letting us sit in on their lectures where we learn a lot about astrophotography and post-production. Some year it would be great to take the course, not have to wash dishes, and get to shoot all those venues and wee-morning hours they do with their students!

There is a new CNSC director this year who we know nothing about and who will be doing the North of 58 week so we are looking forward to that.

And last but not least are Alan Dyer and Roger "Starman" Woloshyn who will impart their knowledge to the visiting hoards and provide us with wake up calls during the middle of the night when the lights come on. Oh, and Roger, I'm sure, will continue to provide me with a winning cribbage record. As long as I don't count my record against Laura.

Our only disappointment this year is that the Schools On Tundra, Canadian high school students, will not be back this time. They were a great group and even gave me a chance to use about the 12 French words I know. Maybe next year.

So, back to Friday the 13th. With all the positives above I am just going to ignore that whole Friday the 13th thing. Keep tuning in.

(This should have been posted back on February 12 or 13th. Oh, well)

No comments:

Post a Comment