Sunday, March 15, 2015

A most amazing aurora picture from Churchill

Why, you ask, is the picture below so amazing? Read on.


Firstly, it's not really that much of an aurora but look at the rocket launcher. It's being light painted by an approaching vehicle from NatHab. As I was taking the 20 sec exposure I could see it coming up the road and then all of a sudden I could see the headlights sweeping over the rocket launcher and the blockhouse behind it. I crossed my fingers that it would turn out as good as I hoped!

Secondly, I took this picture wearing a tee shirt, jeans, and LLBean slippers. Incredibly the temperature is above freezing! In the past two years it never got above 0F and usually the windchill kept it at -20F or below quite easily. And even though the wind is blowing quite strongly, over 30 mph, the windchill feels at most cool. But I did have to hold on to my tripod to keep it from blowing over.

It's not unusual for me to go out to take pictures in my slippers and jeans but I'm usually wearing my parka, gloves, and Bomber hat and can only stay out for a little while unless I get out of the wind. Tonight there was no rush to get back inside.

There is a downside to this warm temperature - and the RAIN we might have tomorrow incredibly - and that is the Hudson Quest dogsled race is going on from Gillam to Churchill and these warm temperatures are going to be hard on the dogs because they will get overheated trying to pull in the soft warm snow. There is genuine concern for the mushers and their dogs up here as they continue the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment